Sunday, August 05, 2007


MY DEAR DAD

Dear Friends:

Thank you for your support and prayers. I can only say that God is perfect and it amazed me how he works things. The funeral was perfect and so many people came to gave their respects and love to my dear Mami and family. As I share with you they were the center of my entire family, and now my Mami would still have that responsibility, those of you who had met my parents knew that they could touch your life and heart even if they don’t speak the language.

My dad got really sick, he was diagnosed with ALS or a.k.a Lou Gehrig’s disease , http://www.lougehrig.com/about/als.htm he was loosing his voice and some muscular movement and strength, in less than 2 months he lost almost 20 pounds and there is no cure for this disease, eventually he was not going to be able to move at all, he wasn’t going to have a life. Every time he was eating or drinking water he was choking because his throat was pretty much dying, so he was so scared of being hungry, can you imagine that?

I want to share with you what my Mami shared with me, how he left her life: Pablo It was a wonderful way the way he left me she said, it was 3am and he asked to go to the bathroom and I took him, after that I fall sleep very deeply and after an hour or so I woke up all the sudden to hug him and make sure he was ok, after I hugged him I realized he was sweating a lot and he was cold and I knew what was going on, my daughter in law was with me so I called her to come to the room and he keeps trying to say everything is ok, I asked him if he wanted to go to the hospital or if he was in pain and he just moved his finger saying NO, he could not speak anymore and he had this big smile, I putted his head on my lap and I was whispering to him, I knew it was the time to say good bye, I told him he was the love of my life, that I wanted to thank him for everything and he was the man that stole my heart 50 years ago, after a while I started whispering to him psalm 23, word by word, and then he just hold my hand really tight and simply had a deeply sigh and I knew he was gone, it was the best way he could left my life she said and I thank God to woke me up to say good bye to my love.

After she told me that she said: for 48 years your dad never missed making coffee at 5am and now Pablo I want you to make sure that the tradition will never ever stop in my house.

Dear friends I shared this with you because this is not a sad story but an amazing story of love and I thank God for my parents, my dad identified a lot with Job and he always confessed Job 1:21 (I don’t want to translate it, please read it). I had the honor to give the final words at the funeral and I can only say my Papi is in the best place we NEED long to be, let’s keep walking towards our goal…………Jesus.


This picture was taken 2 weeks ago at the coffee plantation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home